Leela Samson is an Indian is a Bharatanatyam dancer, choreographer, instructor and writer. She has taught Bharatanatyam at Shriram Bhartiya Kala Kendra in Delhi for many years. She was born in Kunnoor, Nilgiris, Tamil Nadu India.
Leela Samson is also an actress and made her film acting debut in 2015 through the Tamil film, OK Kanmani directed by Mani Ratnam. She reprised her role in the film’s Hindi remake, OK Jaanu (2017). She also appeared in Adithya Varma (2019). Samson has received the Padma Shri (1990), the Sanskriti, Nritya Choodamani, Kalaimamani (2005) given by Government of Tamil Nadu, and the Sangeet Natak Akademi Award (1999–2000) for contributions to Bharatanatyam
Leela Samson is not much active on social media. She has around 2K followers on Instagram. Besides Instagram she is not active on any other social media platforms.
|Real Name||Leela Samson|
|Date Of Birth||May 6, 1951|
|Birth Place||Kunnoor, Nilgiris, Tamilnadu, India|
|Profession||Actress, Choreographer and Dancer|
Leela Samson Age, Height, Weight
Leela Samson’s age is 69 years. Leela’s height is 5 feet 6 inches and weight 69 kg. Her eye and hair colour is Brown and black respectively.
Leela Samson Family
Leela Samson was born on May 6, 1951 in Kunnoor, Nilgiris, Tamil Nadu India. Her father’s name is Benjamin Abraham Samson and her mother’s name is Laila Samson. Her father joined the Royal Indian Navy as a lieutenant in 1939 and was commandant of the National Defence Academy in Khadakvasla between 1959 and 1962. Leela’s paternal aunt Annie was principal of Anjum-e-Islam Muslim school for girls at Mumbai for 31 years.
Leela Samson Married Life & Boyfriend
Leela Samson is Unmarried. She has not married. As a single woman, she said that she did not marry because she never met a man with similar interests. She lives with her surviving parent, her mother, on the Kalakshetra campus.
Some Interesting and Unknown Facts About Leela Samson
- Leela Samson’s father sent her to Kalakshetra to learn Indian classical dance and music under the founder, Rukmini Devi Arundale and she studied in the Besant Theosophical High School at the same time.
- She completed her B.A. from Sophia College for Women and this is where she was inspired to make her career in Bharatnatyam.
- After completing her B.A., Samson continued to learn Bharatanatyam at Kalakshetra.
- Samson taught Bharatanatyam at Shriram Bharatiya Kala Kendra, Delhi, and Gandharva Mahavidyalaya, Delhi.
- She has also taught Bharatanatyam at the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden, London, and the annual Milapfest at Manchester.
- She was appointed as the director of Kalakshetra by the Congress-led United Progressive Alliance in April 2005 and resigned as a director in 2013.
- She was subsequently also appointed as the chairperson of the Sangeet Natak Akademi in August 2010 and holded her post till 2014.
- the chairperson of the Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC) in April 2011 and resigned in 2015.
- Over the years she has performed across India and abroad including Europe, Africa and the Americas.
- Samson taught Bharatnatyam to Congress president Sonia Gandhi’s daughter Priyanka Vadra.
- In 1995, Samson formed Spanda, a dance group to review the traditional vocabulary of Bharatanatyam.
- Two documentary films – Sanchari and The Flowering Tree – have been made on her works.
- She authored a biography of Rukmini Devi Arundale.
- Leela Samson’s favourite actors are Amitabh Bachchan, Dev Anand.
- Her favourite actress is Madhubala.
- She loves Dancing and Singing.
Leela Samson’s Salary and Net Worth
Leela Samson has a net worth of $1 Million USD. Her income source is mainly her Acting and Teaching.
Leela Samson is very fond of Acting and Dancing. Leela also likes Singing.