Looking for a way to hide your post from someone on Instagram? Read this quick and easy guide to find answers.
The Instagram app is a massive field of opportunities for business, promotion, and content creation. It offers various features such as feeds, stories, commenting, direct messaging, reels, etc.
But with these endless streams of amazing features comes the detriments of vices such as cyberbullying, stalking, invasion of privacy, plagiarism, etc.
To make matters worse, Instagram is designed to be an open community. As such, once you follow a user, you’ll be able to see and react to all their posts.
Unfortunately, the presence of these vices contradicts the very purpose for which Instagram was created, which is to aid free expression. Consequently, they make the app a somewhat unsafe space for users like you. Unless, of course, you do something about them.
Thankfully, Instagram has designed several censoring features to guard you and your page against unruly behavior on the platform. You can hide your post from certain people or ban them from accessing your profile altogether. How cool is that?
In this post, we show you 6 ways to hide your posts on Instagram. Grab a drink, and let’s proceed!
How To Hide Your Post From Someone On Instagram
There is no straightforward way to restrict someone from viewing your post. However, it’s not impossible to do. All you need is a compressive guide, like this one, and the ability to follow instructions.
In this section, you’ll find 6 different ways to stop someone from seeing your post.
- Make Your Instagram Profile Private
Instagram added the private account feature so that users can easily hide all their posts from unknown users. With this setting, you determine who follows you. If, for some reason, you don’t like a user who’s trying to follow your account, you can deny them access.
This method is perfect for you if you’re interested in controlling your account’s privacy and censoring unlimited access to your profile. The feature has proven to be quite effective as users have to make a request to the account owner before they can follow and have access to a private account.
Here are the procedures to make your account private:
- STEP 1: Open your Instagram profile, then tap on the three-line icon in the top right corner.
- STEP 2: Tap on setting from the list of features. Among the pop-up options, click on privacy.
- STEP 3: From the list, tap on Private Profile. After confirming the pop-up message, your account automatically becomes private.
- Restrict Certain Followers
This feature enables you to prevent certain followers from seeing your future post. Although, it still allows them access to your profile, and these people remain a part of your Instagram follower count. With this feature, the restricted individual has limited access to your profile and, as such, may not see your posts.
- STEP 1: head over to the followers section of your profile. Identify the follower or followers that you wish to restrict. Then click on the profile of the person you wish to restrict.
- STEP 2: Tap on the 3 dot icon on the top right corner to assess a list of options with ‘Restrict’ on it
- STEP 3: Tap on the ‘Restrict’ option and confirm. The person will automatically be restricted from seeing your future posts.
- Block The follower
This feature is a permanent way to prevent certain followers from seeing or assessing your account. Upon blocking someone, the person is neither able to view your posts or assess your account. Also, they stop being a follower of your account. Here is how to block a person on Instagram:
- STEP 1: Identify the follower or followers that you wish to block, then open their profile
- STEP 2: Tap on the 3 dot icon in the top-right section to assess a list with the ‘Block this user’ option on it.
- STEP 3: Tap on the desired option, then confirm the pop-up message, after which the individual will be completely blocked from accessing your account.
- Archive the Post
This feature allows you to hide your post from all your friends and followers. You’ll be the only person who has access to the post. This is a less invasive and offensive approach to increasing privacy on Instagram, as you don’t have to make your account private or restrict/block any follower.
Besides, if you change your mind or wish to restore the posts, your images will still be available for you to display at a later point. For those who have broken up with a lover but don’t want to remove their entire Instagram history, this can assist.
This setting also means that if you restore the photo to your feed, you won’t lose the comments and likes it garnered the first time around. They’ll be available again once you restore the post.
Here’s how to archive a post.
- STEP 1: Open your Instagram profile
- STEP 2: Identify the post or videos that you wish to archive and tap on it
- STEP 3: Tap on the three dots icon on the top right side of the post.
- STEP 4: Tap on ‘Archive,’ and your post will be hidden from all your followers. Note that you can always reverse this from Instagram settings whenever you please.
- Create a Close Friends List
In June 2017, Instagram started testing new features for the app. 18 months later, the app released the “close friends list.”
This feature allows you to share your story with a chosen set of people. Only these selected people can view your story.
If you’re running a business page, note that this may affect your digital marketing strategy. This is so because only a select few can view your story posts, while most of your audience is left out. If you’d rather not have it so, this may not be the best option for you.
That said, this is how to add/remove people to/from your close friends list.
- STEP 1: Open the Instagram app on your device
- STEP 2: Tap on the three lines icon on the top right of the screen.
- STEP 3: Tap on the ‘Close friends’ option
- STEP 4: A pop-up will appear asking you to get started. Click on get started. Then, select the intended followers and tap on ‘add.’
- STEP 5: To remove someone from your close friends list, choose intended followers already on the list and tap on ‘remove.’ Now, your stories will be directly sent to these followers while excluding others.
- Hide Your stories
Instagram users are now able to hide stories from certain users. Once you choose to hide your story from a group of users, they will not receive notifications of your new stories. Here’s how to do it.
- STEP 1: Open your Instagram app, then go to your profile
- STEP 2: Tap on the three lines icon on the top right of the screen.
- STEP 3: Tap on ‘Settings’
- STEP 4: Tap on ‘Privacy’ from the options. Then, you chose ‘Story.’
- STEP 5: You can add people by tapping on “Hide Story From” and choosing the people you want.
To Wrap it Up
The social media arena, particularly popular ones like Instagram, is fascinating and constantly evolving. Still, the app can also be quite unsettling and unsafe. The number of Instagram users that are harassed, abused, or shamed is steadily increasing.
Apart from this, you may simply want to avoid certain people for reasons best known to you.
The good news is that these protective features make it easier for users to navigate social media while also protecting their privacy. If there are people you’ve been avoiding, the settings on this guide will help tremendously. Plus, they’ll prevent unwanted advances such as stalking, bullying, and invasion of privacy.
Don’t hesitate to use these privacy settings to Safeguard your account. They’re easy enough to apply.